130. Why We Resist Change and What to Do About It
Why does embracing change often feel so daunting? As we set new goals and strive to break old habits in the new year, Alejandra Siroka sheds light on the intricate nature of change and the subtle resistance that frequently accompanies it.
Alejandra identifies fear as a primary obstacle to change. Fears like rejection, conflict, or feeling unsupported can loom large, acting as barriers that prevent us from pursuing the life changes we truly desire. She offers insightful commentary on how these fears can keep us stuck, impeding our progress towards our goals.
Drawing inspiration from the natural world, Alejandra offers 5 perspectives on change. She compares it to the ebb and flow of the seasons, illustrating that change is a natural, integral part of life's rhythm. This analogy serves as a poignant reminder that growth often requires us to step out of our comfort zones, akin to a seed breaking free to grow.
In discussing the value of professional guidance in navigating change, Alejandra outlines the benefits of both coaching and therapy. She explains how each can provide unique support in understanding and moving past personal barriers to change.
Recognizing that life is precious, Alejandra emphasizes the importance of making changes that enrich our lives and those around us. To honor your precious life and embark on a journey of transformation, Alejandra invites you to explore her upcoming three-month group coaching programs, starting January 16th. Limited to just 10 individuals, these programs offer an intimate and impactful setting for growth. Learn more at languagealchemy.com/groupcoaching. Alternatively, for personalized, one-on-one guidance, visit languagealchemy.com/newclient and start your transformative journey with Alejandra as your guide.
• “What blocks your ability to take the steps towards the kind of change you want to make in your life and relationship is not other people. It is actually internal. It is just simple fear.” (3:37 | Alejandra Siroka)
• “I'm going to share some differences between therapists and coaches to help you decide who to reach out for support. While both coaches and therapists will ask you about what kind of change you want in your life, a coach is going to help you understand your present experience, help you set goals, and help you develop the skills to achieve your goals. While a therapist is going to help you understand your life history and how your past environment and circumstances led you to the present issues.” (8:52 | Alejandra Siroka)
• “Even though there are some therapists who also help you set goals, therapy is more process-oriented, while coaching is more action-oriented. So when you have a coaching session, you come away with an action to experiment with, and your coach has contact with you in between sessions to keep you accountable.” (9:33 | Alejandra Siroka)
• “When you experience resistance, something useful you can do is to take inspiration from nature.” (13:47 | Alejandra Siroka)
To have group coaching with Alejandra, visit:
To work with Alejandra, visit: www.languagealchemy.com/workwithme
To join the Language Alchemy mailing list, visit: https://www.languagealchemy.com
To ask questions you'd like Alejandra to answer in the podcast, visit: https://www.languagealchemy.com/podcastquestion
To find out about 1:1 transformative communication coaching with Alejandra, visit: https://www.languagealchemy.com/oneonone
To find out about couple transformative communication coaching with Alejandra, visit: https://www.languagealchemy.com/couples
To schedule a reduced-rate coaching consultation with Alejandra, visit: https://www.languagealchemy.com/newclient
To follow Alejandra on instagram follow @languagealchemy
Podcast Music composed by Gary Lapow: open.spotify.com/artist/1HlMhcNfKIELxYil5mVqD