45. 3 Tools to Uncover Hidden Biases in Your Internal Dialogue
“Unless we work on the messages we inherited, we just perpetuate them,” explains host Alejandra. After the murder of George Floyd, many people have reflected on what their hidden biases are and how these behaviors impact society. With years of this type of self-exploration, Alejandra breaks down the tools needed to reframe your internal dialogue and evaluate your views on racism and intolerance.
Like most people, Alejandra was not always aware of how she internalized racist messaging. But for the past few decades, she has made a habit of listening to her internal dialogue and stopping herself when an intolerant thought seeps in. By practicing empathy towards others and sitting with the consequences of certain behaviors, we can move past society’s lies and work towards making the world a more loving and connecting place.
Tune into this week’s episode of Language Alchemy Podcast for a helpful conversation about uncovering hidden biases. Learn more about Alejandra’s experience with hidden biases, why you should hold yourself accountable with your communication, and how self-exploration leads to positive action.
• “Transformation starts within. My work with my hidden biases began by examining my internal language regarding issues of racism and intolerance.” (2:36 - 2:49 | Alejandra)
• “Unless we work on the messages we inherited, we just perpetuate them.” (9:15 - 9:20 | Alejandra)
• “When you do this work, what you find on the other side is more connectedness, capacity, and love in your heart, which moves you to take skillful actions.” (12:42 - 12:56 | Alejandra)
• “How we use our language has the ability to help us evolve.” (15:50 - 15:55 | Alejandra)
• “If we want to have a more tolerant and a more compassionate world for all of us, and by us, and especially referring to the precious Black members of our human family, then we need to do and continue to do the work that's needed to heal or to evolve or both. And this work starts at the most local level. And that is our internal dialogue.” (16:51 - 17:21 | Alejandra)
To ask your communication questions, click here:
To join the mailing list, visit: languagealchemy.com
Podcast Music composed by Gary Lapow: