61. Communicating Anger Skillfully
“It's possible to learn to communicate anger more skillfully,” explains host Alejandra. Anger, in particular, can be an intense feeling to experience and a challenging one to communicate. On today’s episode of the Language Alchemy Podcast, Alejandra will provide helpful tools for communicating anger with greater awareness and skill.
There are many misconceptions about anger, including believing that this anger equates to violence, aggression, or hostility. As a result, we tend to communicate our reactions, rather than the feeling of anger. If we can learn to put aside our reactionary tendencies and convey our true feeling, we can have an easier time communicating it.
Although tensions may be high in the world today, there are healthy ways to communicate displeasure. Learn more about healthy ways to express yourself, the models of anger you may have received during childhood, and why we do not need to feel ashamed for feeling angry.
• “It's possible to learn to communicate anger more skillfully.” (1:40-1:43 | Alejandra)
• “It is possible to communicate when you feel angry skillfully. And yes, it is okay to communicate while you are experiencing anger.” (2:53-3:03 | Alejandra)
• “Sometimes what we learned to call anger is not anger, but an expression of violence, aggression, or hostility.” (9:41-9:52 | Alejandra)
• “If you want to communicate anger skillfully, you need to learn to have the feeling of anger without the reaction of hostility, aggression, or violence.” (11:10-11:20 | Alejandra)
• “If you want to communicate anger skillfully, leave the reaction aside and just communicate what's going on with you on the inside.” (14:45-14:54 | Alejandra)
To ask a question or request a topic, visit: languagealchemy.com/podcastquestion
To download the 5 Steps to Redirect Your Reactivity Guide, visit:
To receive the Transformative Communication Toolkit, join the mailing list, and view show notes, visit: languagealchemy.com
Podcast Music composed by Gary Lapow: open.spotify.com/artist/1HlMhcNfKIELxYil5mVqDI