37. Love That Lasts
“The way we communicate is just a tool to access our deeper being. And I think for us, learning how to communicate was just learning how to be in love and speak with love with each other,” says Matthew Siroka, husband of host Alejandra. Often in her work coaching couples, clients ask how Alejandra and Matthew communicate. Today, Matthew shares what works for them and how to build a loving and lasting relationship.
Matthew and Alejandra come from vastly different backgrounds. Alejandra was raised Catholic in Argentina, and Matthew was raised Jewish in New York City. Differences aside, Matthew and Alejandra utilize transformative communication tools to ensure that they are listening to each other and reminding themselves that they are with the person they love.
Tune into this week’s episode of The Language Alchemy Podcast for a loving conversation on communication in relationships. Learn more about Matthew and Alejandra’s differences, the necessary tools for transformative communication, and how to adapt to give your partner the space to share.
• “The way we communicate is just a tool to access our deeper being. And I think for us, learning how to communicate was just learning how to be in love and speak with love with each other.” [Matthew] (5:30 - 5:51)
• “We got some tools. But the tools were the means to an end. And the end was how to continually show up with each other in a way that we wanted to.” [Matthew] (5:58 - 6:09)
• “The tools allow me to pause and consider how I want to show up, even if I feel frustrated, anxious, closed off, annoyed, or many other things I often feel.” [Matthew] (6:53 - 7:14)
• “I find that when we have that access to that deeper connection, we have the openness to keep being curious about each other, keep learning from each other, and see things and hear we otherwise wouldn't have.” [Alejandra] (9:26 - 9:47)
• “It's an acknowledgment that we have different styles of sharing and different levels of comfort. And you're ready to jump in where it takes me a while to get there. Having the space to do that is an invitation and makes me feel like you're available.” [Matthew] (14:35 - 14:59)
To sign up for free workshop The Communication Secret to Creating and Maintaining Meaningful Relationships, click here:
To listen to the Language Alchemy story:
To ask your communication questions, click here:
To join the mailing list, visit:languagealchemy.com
Podcast Music composed by Gary Lapow: